- Imagination Library is Dolly Parton’s gift to the world. She provides quality age-appropriate books, mailed to every child’s home monthly from birth to 5 in participating communities. This is 60 books per child at a cost of than $70 per child.Imagination Library partners must commit to offer these books to all children in a defined geographic area, without any form of discrimination. This offers the potential for dramatic increases in community literacy. Children entering kindergarten run to the bookshelves, pick up familiar books, calling, “I have this book!” Classmates flock around, regardless of race, gender, or socioeconomic factors, and yell, “So do I! I love the caterpillar!” Friendships are created around shared experiences and vocabulary found in the pages of beautiful picture books.
- Build your child’s vocabulary: http://www.hanen.org/Helpful-Info/Articles/Build-your-childs-vocabulary.aspx
- How to read aloud: http://memfox.com/for-parents/for-parents-ten-read-aloud-commandments/
- Jim Trelease’s Read Aloud Handbook
- Jim Trelease’s website: http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/
- “The Great Gift of Reading Aloud”
- *This is a great resource for early childhood educators from Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute.